Anyhow, in an effort to avoid said homework--and prepare a home for these:
We worked on our side yard trying to prepare for a raised bed garden. When we moved in there was one tall spindly pine tree over there and three sad looking raised beds. The tree came down on one and the other two were rotten--so we tore them all out. Last year all we managed to do was throw a few vegetables in the dirt pile and call it quits.
This year I have bigger ambitions. Here is where we were this morning:
Things were going fine until we ran into this:
We ground out most of the stump last year but apparently we missed this little lovely number. Hours of shoveling and axing and digging and a little chainsawing. . . and we had exposed a big chunk, but little else. Our very nice neighbor came over and offered his assistance--and his truck. . . and chains. (Note the rake for size reference--that bad boy was huge.)
Voila! Out it came. Yeah!
Then we set to work putting in our first raised bed. But everywhere we tried to dig for the corner posts we hit roots under the surface.
FINALLY, a few feet farther forward than we intended, we have one bed.
And we got a little eager so we transplanted our lonely blueberry bush into it. We will buy it some friends. For now I hope it lives through the traumatic five foot move. If we had more lumber we would have built another one in like twenty minutes. The area against the garage is all ready to go. We started with the worst corner. . . I hope.
During our excavation we rescued a handful of chive plants, my garlic plants, and three mysterious bulbs that I will plant in a pot and see what comes out. Whew!
Now it is a race to see if the beds are ready before the 70 odd plants I have growing in little peat pots need to be planted. I will be sure to post our progress.