Wednesday, March 10, 2010

It's New to Me

For a change, this year on my birthday I decided to forgo the annual trip to Banana Republic.  The BR trip started a few years back as a retaliation tactic that became a tradition.  My wonderful husband had this habit of taking business trips on my birthday.  Apparently he still does.  In the 12 years we have been married he has only been home for four or so birthdays.  So one year I got fed up and decided to go to BR and buy myself a VERY generous birthday present. . . or ten.

Only he didn't really object.  Which proves he was guilty, right?  

Anyway, it became expected that he would go out of town and I would go shop--and then even when he was in town I would go shop, he would just come with me.  But after maybe eight years of birthday shopping sprees I decided to change things up (Plus I was having a hard time finding much I wanted to buy at BR--I hate when that happens).  

So I decided to feed another passion.  My house.  It needed accessories more than I did anyway.

I called a friend and made plans to hit the antique district in Portland. With the kids in school and 30 antique shops on a single street in a matter of a few blocks I sensed fun in my future.  

I was right.  Though I honestly thought I'd buy more.  I might have to work up to the big purchases.  Because there were plenty of great things to be purchased.  

None-the-less, I returned from my maiden antique shopping excursion with a few fun items.

This cute chippy dove that is sitting on my mantle.


A fun and fabulous paper wreath made out of an antique shorthand book.



I love the way the light plays off the rolled paper. . .


and how it reflects in the mirrors that hang above my mantle (try not to notice the dust on the mirror.  Jeez you'd think I don't dust. . .hmmm, when was the last time I dusted those mirrors. . .?)


Can't you just picture this chamber pot filled with peonies, or hydrangeas?  I can.


And this crate gave me visions of summer barbecues.  I have plans to purchase a soda making machine and thought it would be fun to buy bottles to put the homemade soda in and then serve them in this crate.  Want to come?



I may not have bought much, but there is always fun in the hunt.  My biggest purchase I actually found a couple days ago at the Good Will. . .


When I get done with this dresser it will be lovely.  I plan to paint it antique white and buy it some shiny new glass knobs.  It's new home is my guest room, whose transformation has been slow and minutely incremental.  Isn't that always the way?  Always a work in progress.

What projects are you working on?

1 comment:

Vanessa said...

Great finds! I need you to decorate my house!

What projects am I working on??? The piles of junk on my living room floor that have been there for 5 weeks! The 6 frames I need to hang above my couch... the list goes on.