Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Sparse and Tidy or Lush and Grown in . . .

My husband and I are having a difference of opinion over how our yard needs to be landscaped. We bought a house with a grown in yard and large trees. I love the look of a mature garden. Rob claims it's all overgrown and needs to be torn out. I will admit that pruning is necessary, but I don't want my yard to look like it was just landscaped. I love the feel of a garden that has been lovingly cared for and tended to over time. I have a few ideas about what I would like to see happen in my yard. I lost one battle, though I wasn't fighting terribly against it, if truth be known, and a large tree was removed in our front yard. I must say I don't miss it from the street, but I miss it from my living room and bedroom, where the tree once created some privacy. But I plan on replacing what has been torn out with new plants that will eventually look more planned. Here are some pictures of where I am now in a couple portions of my yard and where I would like to be . . .eventually.

The back end of my garden as it is now. (Actually I did weed is since this picture so it is slightly better than above.) And . . . . .

Veranda March 2008

. . .how I envision it turning out some day. I love, love, love Hydrangeas. And ferns grow wild around here, so I am thinking this is not unrealistic. As for my side yard. Here is what I have currently. . . .

Very sad. But I have hope. Here is a pic that shows a little how I would like it to turn out. . .

Veranda March 2008

I think I would like to have my side yard filled in with a little more lushness and more blooming plants than this picture, though I love the circular sitting area and the height of the structured background. I have a vision of all white and green plants. Think white peonies, hostas, hydrangeas, Delphinium, helleborus, ranunculous, white bleeding heart, dahlias, lily of the valley, white dogwood, snowball bush, green mums, camassia, astrantia, mock orange. . . .I am not sure I can fit all of those in there and have structured greens and ferns, but I am going to try!

1 comment:

Shannon said...

hey, make it look like those pics from veranda and you can't go wrong! Those are great!